Native Swimwear Australia is a multi-award winning Australian Aboriginal luxury fashion label.
The company is the first Aboriginal fashion label in history to showcase at New York Fashion Week in 2015.
Leading the way in sustainability and fair trade, all garments are created with quality sustainable fabrics and silk, and exclusive licenses to original artwork ensure that artists and their communities benefit from sales.
Natalie Cunningham - Fashion Designer
Natalie lives with her family on Gubbi Gubbi Country in the stunning subtropical foothills of the Glass House Mountains on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland.
As a proud Nucoorilma/Ngarabal and Biripi woman, Natalie’s creative process explores ancient First Nations wisdom told through bold and colour visual prints.
She draws from her natural surroundings to develop unique and empowering pieces for active and poolside glamour including swimwear, resort wear,active wear and accessories.
Each garment has been designed with inspiration from the oldest living culture in the world - the Aboriginal culture -and Natalie’s own experience through motherhood.
Her designs feature clever confidence-boosting support and weaving, as well as UV50+ sun and chlorine protection.
Natalie is a board member of the Queensland Fashion Council and her achievements are significant, they include:
- 2021 Collection showcased at Australian Fashion Week
- 2018 Finalist of the Queensland Reconciliation Award
- 2016 Collection showcased at Melbourne Fashion Week
- 2016 Finalist at AIM Leadership Awards
- 2016 Queensland Finalist at the Ethnic Business Awards
- 2015 & 2016 Collection showcased at New York Fashion Week
- 2015 & 2016 Winner Sunshine Coast’s Best Fashion Designer
- 2014 Collection showcased at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Festival
- 2013 Winner of National Deadly Award for Fashion Design
- 2013 Collection showcased at Australian Indigenous Fashion Week.
Getty Images/@gettyimages photograph taken at AfterpayAustralian Fashion Week 2021